Friday, November 5, 2010

Obligatory Introductory Post

Hi! I'm Ari Collins (not my real name, but it'll do). I'm a writer, a balloon artist, and a guy with nothing better tonight on a beautiful Friday night. I'm sorry I didn't start this blog when I first began twisting balloons a few months ago, but I'm still new enough that this should be filled with lots of wacky "learning experience" stories. Names have been changed to protect the poor tippers.

So to bring you up to speed a bit: my roommate (Hi, Morgan!) works in a restaurant that, she felt, needed some entertainment. I was unemployed at the time, and she vaguely knew a guy who twisted balloons for a living, so she suggested I try my hand at it. A fair amount of popped balloons later, I had made a dog. Not too many popped balloons later, I had the dog variations (giraffe, elephant, mouse, rabbit) down. A ton more popped balloons later, I could do a cat. (Pinch twists are hard when you're starting out!)

In the four months since, I've expanded to: doing balloons at three different restaurants, twisting at some small events, handing out business cards, and wearing a bow tie.

My animal repertoire is currently:

Alligator
Brontosaurus
Bumblebee
Bunny Rabbit
Cat
Dog
Dolphin
Elephant
Fish
Frog
Giraffe
Horse
Hummingbird
Killer Whale
Ladybug
Mouse
Parrot
Poodle
Pterodactyl
Rubber Ducky
Sea Horse
Shark
Snake
Stegosaurus
Swan
Teddy Bear
Tiger
Turtle
Tyrannosaurus
Zebra

Plus a couple of hats, flowers, hearts, swords, etc. But mostly animals.

I've finally gotten to the point where I'm picking up designs fairly easily, making modifications and improvements to previous designs, and even inventing a couple of my own. I'm even strongly considering doing a couple instructional videos on the ones I've made or improved, like the sea horse, fish, and stegosaur.

Okay, I think that brings you up to speed. Should be a fun blog, I think, so keep reading!

Later,
Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment